Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Update from Brie

Hi everyone! Brie here. I'm one of the delegates heading to the Youth on the Move conference and Journey of an Idea. I'm the National Youth Representative on the board of NZ Red Cross, and I chair the National Youth Panel, which provides a youth perspective on governance and strategic direction. I've been involved with the panel almost since its inception in 2006, and have represented youth in Red Cross on the National Board for a year and a half.

My involvement with Red Cross focuses predominantly on governance, advocating for the inclusion of youth in decision making structures and youth member/volunteer development. There are lots of exciting things starting to happen in these areas in Red Cross this year, and it's so rewarding to be a part of these changes. The fact that I can be part of an organisation where I get to make a difference to the lives of the vulnerable and have a say in how the organisation is run means the world to me, and I think it's a huge draw card for other young people looking at getting into volunteering. I'd encourage you all to find out more about Red Cross.

So that's a little bit about me, I’m currently writing my masters’ thesis in socio-cultural linguistics at Victoria University of Wellington, as well as working as a tutor at the uni. I’m super-excited about this trip – only 5 days to go! I can’t believe it’s so close, and I’m looking forward to keeping you all posted (also, I promise to put up lots of photos!).

Ciao! (I’m practising my Italian)

Brie

2 comments:

Debby Butler said...

Brie, have a fabulous time and I look forward to reading your blogs and hearing of your progress. I have fond memories of my 3 months living in Italy, and am incredibly envious of your opportunity. Lets have a coffee when you return. Good luck to you both.
Debby Butler

dan said...

Hello Brie!

Will be there waiting for you and the others in Solferino, I'll be in the secretariat staff from 21th June and I'm also excited about this experience. A big crowd is expected and the torchlight procession is going to be spectacular!

See you there! And...

Benvenuti in Italia!

Cheers,
dan